To this day, the exact causes of migraine attacks are not fully known. On top of that, there is also no cure for migraine and one must “learn to live” with it by adjusting lifestyle and taking medication. However, studies have shown that there is another natural medicine that can be used as an alternative to these drugs, namely the increasingly popular CBD oil.
CBD oil could be considered from a pharmacological point of view as a possible alternative in the symptoms of migraine. Learn more about the promising results medicinal cannabis can offer for migraine attacks in this article. If you want to jump directly to a topic about CBD oil for migraines, use the format below:
- What is migraine?
- Characteristics of migraine
- The causes of migraines
- Migraine figures in the Netherlands
- Migraine medication
- Research CBD oil in migraine
- How does CBD oil work for migraines?
- CBC oil: the perfect complement
- Why CBD oil is safe
- Possible side effects
- Using CBD oil: the right way
- Finding the right dosage of CBD oil
- Migraine tips
- If you have questions or doubts: request a consultation!
- Numerous studies have shown that CBD oil can be used effectively to prevent a migraine or to relieve the symptoms. Read the instructions for use to check the correct dosage.
- With normal use you should not expect any annoying side effects.
- CBD oil reduces pain and discomfort, as well as nausea, stress and anxiety.
- With CBD oil, attacks are reduced or prevented and the concentration level goes up.
What is migraine?
One of the most common types of headaches is migraines. Migraine can be described as a very intense, bursting headache that can last for a very long time. For one person it is only a few hours, while another suffers for days. It is a type of pain that affects one or both sides of the head, often accompanied by neurological and visual symptoms. The symptoms associated with migraine occur because the blood vessels in the head contract and dilate. Besides a persistent and unpleasant throbbing headache, the symptoms of migraine are:
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Hypersensitive to light and sound;
- No or poor visibility;
- Tingling fingers;
- Reduced muscle strength in legs or arms;
- Difficulty concentrating;
- Accelerated heart rate.
A migraine attack varies by type, frequency, duration and intensity. In some people, the headaches are so terrible and unsustainable that they stay in a dark and quiet environment for days (chronic migraine). Migraine attacks, by the way, always pass on their own.
Characteristics of migraine
By no means every type of common headache is migraine. Migraines can be recognized by these characteristics:
- The pain starts suddenly and has a definite end.
- You experience pain in attacks.
- It involves terrible throbbing, throbbing pain.
- The pain is felt unilaterally or on both sides of the head.
- Exercise, lots of light, loud noise and intense smells make the pain worse.
The causes of migraines
In migraine, a temporary disruption occurs between the nerves in the brain and the blood vessels. As a result, pain is not processed optimally by the body. Not much is known to date about the exact causes of migraine, but according to research, environmental factors, physical exertion and genetic predisposition may be crucial triggers.
It is also said that hormonal change such as menopause, pregnancy and menstruation play a role in the development of migraines. According to researchers, other common causes also include food, alcohol, caffeine, medication, hunger, anxiety, stress, fatigue and abrupt environmental or lifestyle changes.
Migraine rates in the Netherlands
There are over 2.5 million Dutch people with migraines, according to figures. So it is about 1 in every person who suffers from migraines. Migraines are considered one of the most common conditions suffered by children, men and women alike. Every day, about 70,000 people have a migraine attack in the Netherlands.
Currently, there is no drug to truly cure migraine. Medications are available to relieve symptoms, however. Such drugs are also called seizure medications. In addition to seizure medications (Sumatripa, Zolmitripan, Naratripan, Rizatriptan, Almotriptan, Elemtriptan and Frovatriptan), we also know of preventive medications, including blood pressure reducers, epilepsy medications and antidepressants.
Remember that medication for migraines is far from working for everyone, and the aforementioned medications come with troublesome side effects. So it is important not to get discouraged if the prescribed drugs produce disappointing results. Multiple studies show that CBD oil in migraine can be used effectively to reduce symptoms. If you are currently taking prescription medication, first verify with your doctor about taking CBD oil and check if you can combine your medications with CBD oil.
Research CBD oil in migraine
A review of multiple studies on the use of CBD oil for migraine has concluded that migraineurs experience fewer symptoms when traditional pain treatment is combined with CBD. A specific study on the impact of medicinal cannabis in migraine and headaches indicates that in more than half of the participants, the pain became manageable.
Another study was conducted in Colorado in 2016, which concluded that 85% of patients experienced relief from migraine-related symptoms. On top of that, at least 50% of the frequency of attacks had decreased.
Another study conducted by Dr. Nicolodi used a combination of THC with CBD. The result? Patients’ symptoms were reduced by over 43%. Another study published by the American College of Clinical Pharmacy showed that migraines decreased significantly with medicinal use of cannabis. Of the 121 participating patients, their migraines were cured, while in the majority the frequency of attacks decreased from 10 to 4 times.
A Reddit user named “Velkyrion” reported in 2017 that using CBD oil for migraines provided immediate relief. Migraine attacks were less common, especially when increasing the dosage of CBD oil. The user took 50 mg of CBD on a daily basis and did not experience migraines for a week and a half, whereas otherwise it would have been daily. Another Reddit user named “Tallulah09” indicated in 2017 that she had been suffering from chronic migraines for 12 years, with at least 20 migraine attacks every month. Nothing provided relief until the user started using CBD oil daily.
In 2020, the study examined how CBD oil can help with chronic migraines. The results were promising: more than 50% of chronic migraine patients stopped supplementation within 8 weeks after regular use of CBD oil. In about 94% of all participants, quality of life improved significantly.
How does CBD oil work for migraines?
Endocannabinoids are natural chemicals in the body that help regulate various functions, including pain, mood, appetite and sleep. CBD oil works by stimulating the endocannabinoid system, improving these functions. This is because the body recognizes the substance as “endogenous. CBD oil for migraines can be used in this way:
- A migraine attack can be better managed and zoms even prevented.
- Migraine attacks are less frequent and they last shorter.
- The symptoms of an attack are less intense thanks to hormonal regulation.
- For anxiety and stress, CBD oil can help by relaxing your body and mind. Your body functions more optimally as a result.
- You will enjoy better sleep, reducing loss of concentration and insomnia.
- CBD oil has several analgesic properties for natural pain relief.
- CBD can help well with nausea.
- CBD can largely control abnormal movement disorders.
CBD oil for migraines helps you in two ways. First of all, it reduces pain and discomfort. Second, by using CBD oil, fewer seizures can occur, and there are many benefits for both the body and mind. If in any doubt, please contact us. You can also click on the link below for a free personal consultation:
CBC oil: the perfect complement
There are several supplements you can take in addition to CBD oil. These help you improve the effectiveness of CBD oil. In fact, other cannabinoids with healing properties besides CBD can be extracted from the cannabis plant. Supplement your daily dose of CBD oil with a few drops of CBC oil for maximum results.
Are you wondering to what extent the combination of CBD oil for migraine with CBC oil can be positive for your specific symptoms? We offer a listening ear and are happy to help you find the right products. You need only speak to us.
Why CBD oil is safe
People are often still under the impression that CBD oil is a dangerous substance. However, this is not true at all, even with long-term and regular use. Our Superior quality CBD oil for migraines can be used 100% safely for these reasons:
- There are no or hardly any side effects according to the indicated dosage.
- CBD has no addictive effects, even with long-term intake.
- CBD is not psychoactive and thus has no hallucinatory impact on the body.
- The oil is also suitable for children or pets.
- All ingredients are 100% pure and natural, free of chemicals, GMOs and pesticides.
- The products all feature current lab results and are 100% legal.
- You can read the instruction manual in multiple languages and get free advice.
- Cannabisolie.com’s products are made with love.
Possible side effects
In general, CBD oil for migraines has no to few side effects. Studies have shown that CBD oil can cause mild side effects when taken in excess. Consider side effects such as drowsiness, irritability, diarrhea, nausea or dry mouth.
However, do not just start migraine treatment without prior advice from a specialist. This prevents CBD oil from enhancing both the effects and possible side effects of prescribed medication in undesirable ways.
Using CBD oil: the right way
Most individuals choose to consume CBD oil orally daily for migraine for reducing the number of attacks or to prevent upcoming attacks. CBD oil is easy to dose and the CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream almost immediately by the salivary glands. Use the pipette to place CBD drops under the tongue. For migraines, other options may also help, including CBD ointment, CBD capsules and CBD massage oil.
Tip: Before using the oil, read the instructions for use through.
Finding the right dosage of CBD oil
What is the ideal dosage of CBD oil for migraine is different for each person and depends on the intensity of migraine symptoms, the body itself and the concentration and quality of the oil, among other things. For mild symptoms, a CBD percentage of 2.5%, 5% or 10% is sufficient. However, if the complaints are severe, choose 20%, 30% or 40%.
Should you sense a migraine attack coming on, take a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 10 drops under the tongue for quick results. Chronic headaches, however, demand regular and prolonged intake:
- Swallow 2-3 drops of CBD oil 3x a day.
- Increase the dosage if desired.
- Feel for the effects of the oil.
- Build back the dosage slowly.
Tip: Are you increasing your dosage? Be sure not to exceed the maximum dosage per day. With us, you get free advice and personal guidance to find out what your ideal dosage is.
Besides CBD oil for migraines, there are more things you can do yourself to reduce or even prevent migraine attacks. Here are some practical tips:
- Get plenty of sleep. This makes the pain more tolerable, which also reduces your fatigue. Invest in an ergonomic mattress and ensure adequate support for your neck, back and head.
- Relax yourself sufficiently through breathing exercises, meditation or yoga. Take some time for yourself to focus on the well-being of your own body and soul.
- Eat balanced to prevent a migraine attack. You can contact a dietician, or you can keep a diary to find out what triggers are in your case.
- Exercise enough daily for more energy. This keeps you fitter and allows your body to manage pain better.
- Avoid the use of alcohol, nicotine or caffeine. Such substances can trigger a migraine.
If you have questions or doubts: request a consultation!
Are you also so tired of those annoying and unpredictable migraine attacks? If so, the use of CBD oil for migraines could offer a possible solution to improve the overall quality of life for patients struggling with (chronic) migraines. Consult your doctor before taking CBD oil and ask us for a free consultation for personal advice, targeted and tailored to address your specific symptoms.
Free personal consultation
Leave your details and we will contact you as soon as possible!